Trebinje is the southernmost B&H city, only 28 km away from Dubrovnik. It is located side by side with Mostar and Stolac, and in terms of beauty, unlike these two cities, it was lucky enough to avoid severe war damaging so that the old town has stayed intact.
Old town of Trebinje originated from the early 18th century. Today’s old town, Kastel, was developed from the former trade and craft center.
You almost cannot find city in Herzegovina that was not built on the river banks. Trebinje is no exception: the old part of the city lies on the river banks of Trebišnjica, one of the largest underground rivers in Europe, which flows directly through the heart of this city.
Both river and the city have always been known for old mills – a waterwheels on Trebišnjica. Even though they are not fully operational today, they remain a symbol for Herzegovina’s not so distant history, when everything was depending on the power of nature.
The power of nature was the strongest before the Grancarevo dam was constructed, only about fifteen kilometers on northeast from Trebinje.
This dam would probably drown Arslanagića Bridge that was built in 1574. In order to save this beautiful example of Ottoman stone bridge building, the bridge was disassembled stone by stone in 1965, from a village a few kilometers along the river to the city center.
Klobuk is the largest fortress found in Trebinje. It is located on the border of Herzegovina with Montenegro. It has been assumed that this fortress was built in the 9th century and that Pavlimir and Tešimir, Slovenian princes of Krajina, were buried here. Since the 12th century this region has been part of the Nemanjić state, until 1377, when it became part of the extended Bosnian state. Today, only walls remains can be found here.