One of the most recognizable symbols of Sarajevo is certainly the Eternal Flame. It is the monument that symbolizes the eternal memory of the liberators of Sarajevo, a memorial for military and civil victims of the Second World War in Sarajevo.
The monument was made on the 6th of April, on the occasion of the first anniversary of the liberation of Sarajevo from the German occupation. The project was designed by Juraj Neidhardt, and it has been drawing attention of citizens and visitors of Sarajevo ever since.
The memorial consists of a wall with inscription written in the colors of the former Yugoslavia – blue, white and red, under which is the eternal flame in the shape of a laurel wreath, which symbolizes eternal memory and the coat of arms of the former Yugoslavia.
The Eternal Flame was officially opened and presented to the public on November 27, 1947.
Given that the burner and the laurel wreath needed an overhaul, the City of Sarajevo financed the repair and the company Grizelj expeditiously conducted works and gave a new shine to the Eternal Flame.
Director of the company Grizelj Sarajevo suggested that the original design of the Eternal Flame is preserved in the museum of Revolution.
The replica made by the company Grizelj Sarajevo is an innovative, modernized technological solution projected to withstand wind speeds of up to 140 kilometers per hour and 28 liters of water per square meter.