The monument dedicated to the fallen soldiers in the Battle of Sutjeska was restored with the old glow, that is, with the original white color.
We recall, for the first time since the opening of the monument to the fallen soldiers in the Heros’ Valley at the National Park Sutjeska in 1971, its complete restoration was carried out.
The cleaning was financed by the Government of Republika Srpska and firefighters from Foca provided the necessary equipment.
The Heroes’ Valley is a memorial monument dedicated to the Battle of Sutjeska, which happened in 1943. The monument to the dead fighters is the work of sculptor Miodrag Zivkovic. In front of the monument there is a commemorative plaque where 3,301 fighters of 7,860 dead during the Fifth Enemy Offensive were buried.
A 19-meter monument consists of two stone cobblestone slabs. According to the author, these boulders symbolize the harsh space on which the battle took place, leaving behind the deep canyons of the river and striving towards the snowy mountains to reach the victory. The crates on the monument symbolize this breakthrough and the space between the crates symbolizes the units that saved the wounded and the helpless.
(Source: Klix.ba / photo: mapio.net)