The Sacred Heart Cathedral in Sarajevo, one of the national monuments of Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), has attracted people of all religions from around the world for over a century, especially during the touristic season, for its beauty, spiritual and historical significance. One of the most famous visitors was Pope John Paul II, who was visiting in 1997. The Pope showed great appreciation of Sarajevo, but also of BiH, so it is not surprising that his monument is located right in front of the Sacred Heart Cathedral.
This place of worship still attracts a large number of tourists from the East and Middle East countries, and often visitors from Turkey, South Korea, Japan, but also a large number of people from our region.
The greatest credit for the construction of the Sacred Heart Cathedral in Sarajevo goes to Archbishop Josef Stadler and architect Josip Vancas.
First construction works, that is, excavations, began on August 25th, 1884, and the foundation stone was laid on November 20th, 1884 at 9 o’clock.
The stone laying ceremony itself was simple, with the former President of the State Government Baron Ivan Appel hitting the ground three times with a ‘’golden shovel’’.
The Cathedral was completed in September 1889, and has been rebuilt several times so far, Radio Sarajevo reports.