The Old Town of Pocitelj is proudly standing in the Valley of Neretva River, a fortress under which is a settlement of oriental-Mediterranean character.
It probably existed a lot earlier, but for the first time, Pocitelj was mentioned in written documents in 1444 as a parish headquarters.
When it comes to important buildings, it is important to mention the Hadzi-Alija’s mosque from the mid-16th century, which dominates in this small town, as well as the Sisman-Ibrahim Pasha’s Medresah (Islamic high school) with its original copper domes.
In 1964, one of the first art colonies in the Southeast of Europe was opened in Gavran Kapetanovic’s houses.
The colony is still working today and it is open to visitors every day.
Exhibitions are constantly organized in the galleries of the colony from the collection of the colony with about 2,000 art pieces. The colony is also the place for organization of evenings of poetry and similar events.
Today, Pocitelj is one of the most beautiful cultural and historical monuments in BiH, which was proclaimed as the national monument of BiH in January 2003.
In the year 2007, the candidacy of Pocitelj for UNESCO’s World Heritage was submitted.